Sunday, October 10, 2021

Renewing a Sense of Prosperity

‘To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: ….. a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance’ Ecclesiastes 3


For those of you who are unaware, this past year I lost my life partner of 60 years. So, it has been a year in which my world so to speak turned upside down.  In fact, it has made me question if we collectively view prosperity differently in times of mourn or dance. So, whether from a personal and or observer viewpoint, to benefit all, share strategies which enable recovery from loss.

Why? Across the Nation, flood waters continue to recede exposing ravaged landscape. Embers smolder in the wake of waves of forest fire flame, National flags periodically fly at half mass in honor of those who are victims of senseless mass murder; and there are those of us who seek to climb out of grief from personal loss.

Under such conditions is it feasible to think we could and/or would retain a sense of prosperity? On the other hand, perhaps it is recovery from such events that require us to focus on renewal of prosperity. For, a sense of prosperity is not simply defined in terms of money. It is a spiritual matter, an ongoing faith – not cash – which enables a sense of abundance.

To acquire such a sense of 'well-being', let’s examine artist author Julia Cameron’s program which is designed to identify an abundant life, a Prosperous Heart. Cameron’s research recommends five basic workshop style tools: make stream of consciousness lists, count in terms of debt, define abstinence as ‘waste not want not’, take thoughtful walks; and, perhaps more importantly give yourself permission to have ‘time outs’ – sit quietly for self-appraisal.

When I made a stream of consciousness list by finishing this phrase: I feel prosperous when ----. I identified prosperity as when I experience the change of season, the colors of spring and fall. I have a sense of faith when I harvest fruit and vegetables, sit on my deck and listen to the sounds of nature or see bountiful blooms result from landscape garden activities. I also feel prosperous when the smell of baked bread or scent of hardwood burning triggers memories of an agri-childhood.  In fact, a more cherished moment occurs when I snuggle with a grandchild while sharing stories of childhood experiences. These ‘personal’ experiences – not money – have not only enabled but do retain my sense of prosperity.

Assuming you made a ‘stream of consciousness list’, compare it to present-day activities. Is there a relationship? If yes, do you feel prosperous? If not, why?

When I compare my list to present-day activities, I identify that I translate my sense of prosperity – to the ‘living green’ that surrounds me.  In fact, over the years have published a series of books intended to encourage others to become people who CARE – acquire a perspective of conservation, accountability, recovery and eco-efficiency.  For details, link to a video Landscape Gardening with CARE at https://youtu.be/ENPhCg9QQNc  or visit web site www.TheWrightScoop.com.  

In terms of communicating YOUR sense of prosperity, would you be seen as a person who walks his/her talks, a person who inspires others to acquire a prosperous heart. PLEASE share your tips and comments below, together let’s enable a conversation intended to inspire others to have a sense of thankfulness, a sense of prosperity.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice, Sylvia. You are continuing your journey with grace. Like you, may we all find the tools we need when the journey requires them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Posted for Daniel Kline
    Very nice article. I started twice on blogspot. the disciplines of good writing are the can most often kicked.
    I began to contemplate as I read, as to why the word prosperity is so rarely in my mind and even more scarce in my speech. For some years now I have favored the word abundance which suggests having enough left over to give some. I think maybe 40 or more years ago when I chose abundance to describe the economic and output goals of my life I might have also shunned a number of success related terms. This may have some bearing on why my fortunes are comparatively smaller than my peers, meaning post graduate studied men who retire at 65. I do have a lot of satisfaction in my lifetime contribution the the well being of many. Five Baptist churches exist and serve many because we went and organized them. But now... My efforts at 74 are focused on fund raising for some of the poorest in the world. Zambia is on my mind, and I build a non-profit called Activate Abundance Now dot org. Website under construction. Abundance Training Center in its fledgling days. I suppose if I brainstorm it is to remember a few more people to reach out to so they can get our news. Since the middle of 2018 when this vision first began til now we have raised almost $30,000 for the cause. when I go I pay my own way so donor funds actually go where intended doing the good others gave to. So I suppose in a way this is prosperity of a kind that has as its chief reward a deep satisfying joy.
    So again I lift you up in my prayers to the God of all comfort Who comforts us in all our afflictions... 2 Corinthians 1:3. He says He loves us with an everlasting love. What a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your loss, Sylvia. I love your topic (and your drawing!). Prosperity is perfect for fall (or autumn, if one prefers) with the harvest of the season. How can we not feel a sense of prosperity with nature at this time of year? Prosperity and reflection. I feel prosperous harvesting seeds and thinking of the year ahead and enjoying the fruits of another summer of labor and work. Our autumn of life can also be seen as a time of harvest, even though also, and sadly, a time when there is loss.

    ReplyDelete