Thursday, March 3, 2016

At War with the Geese

Although visiting geese can be a nuisance, they presently have crossed the line of my patience. For once again, the geese and I are at war!

Over the years, as more and more wildlife moved into my property, the area became a sanctuary for the American eagle, other eagles and hawks, owl and numerous varieties of birds as well as raccoon, fox and other small furry creatures. In fact, I was so pleased with the addition of guests that I applied for and received a Federal habitat certificate. Everything went along smoothly until the geese began to multiply like rabbits, making the value of their presence questionable.
 
In retrospect, I should have listened to Mike McGrath host of You Bet Your Garden WTOP News Radio in Washington, D.C. when he said, “Don’t wait till they build a nest—Push these perfidious pooping protagonists off your property NOW!”

Waiting until seasonal vegetables were almost spent, the geese decided to feast on our crop of sweet corn – yummy sweet Silver Queen corn. The words - disappointed, mad or angered – fail to describe my reaction. It was after this greedy attack that I declared out and out war! So, during the winter months, I plotted a strategy.

As I researched potential solutions, I learned there are two types of ‘Canada goose’. The true migrating ones which spend their winters in the deep Southern USA and Mexico, then fly up North to Canada (hence their name) to breed in the Spring. Migratory geese might stop and rest, but rarely for more than a day.


Nevertheless, it turns out that at the turn of the Century, hunters breed these birds as live hunting decoys. Then, in the 1930’s, when the practice was outlawed, ‘decoy geese’ were freed, but the birds had lost their instinct to migrate. If that was not enough of a problem, the birds were next deliberately relocated to virtually every state, a practice known as ‘state swapping’.

Short of breaking out the shot-gun as a remedy, I've researched solutions. I identified noise makers, motion activated water sprayers, lists of less likely to bother plants, oil based poisons and of course, the suggestion to manage the population through hunting. But because of nearby neighborhoods, use of the space myself and the fact that it is my vegetable garden that is under attack, most suggestions are not feasible. Baffled but determined, I contacted my colleague and gardening friend Richard Nunnally, host of “Virginia Home Grown” shown on local public television stations WCVW and WCVE. At Richard’s suggestion, I tried an unbelievably simply but effective solution.

Nevertheless, aware of the persistence of these geese, I questioned if something so simple would truly remain effective; so, I continued research. Other identified alternatives are to grow something like a meadow, wildflower field, or butterfly garden around an area to protect it. Planting shrubs or building a wall along a shoreline helps deter the birds. Also dogs, specifically Border collies are used with great success; these dogs instinctively ‘herd’ the geese until the birds finally leave — without the dogs actually harming them.

Richard's suggestion is to outline the garden with wooden posts approximately 24 inches in height spaced every 12 feet. At approximately 8 and 16 inches from the ground, he advised to string fishing line and then, tie strips of reflective tape between the posts. The installed tape reminded me to watch out for the line and when the geese walked into the line, they did not like it and simply backup and walked another direction. Over time, I've opt to replace the string with strips of wire mesh. Nevertheless, periodically, the fencing fails through use requiring additional post support or wire. So, I am once again at war with the geese.

Have you dealt with the impact of pesky creatures? If yes, when selecting a solution, be aware that many forms of wildlife are protected. Research your options; and then, chose a solution that best protects the overall existing habitat. As gardeners, we do have the opportunity to impact the surrounding eco system. For additional tips and strategies, visit web site The Wright Scoop.

1 comment: